Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mi Quang (Vietnamese Turmeric Noodle Soup)

Mi Quang is one of the noodles I've always wanted to try. Even though I was born in Vietnam and was raised in a Vietnamese household I have never had this noodle soup due to our religion. This noodle soup and many others dishes are made with pork. Pork is very popular in Vietnamese cuisine. So in order to fulfill my taste buds I decided to give it a try. I found a recipe I like from Ravenous Couple blog. I did made some changes to the recipe to make it my own. I was very happy with the end result, my husband who had eaten this and many other pork base soup loved it. He said he didn't know the difference and that he prefer this version better. I'm not sure if he's saying that to make me happy, but he did eat 2 huge bowls and to top it off my daughter also finished her big bowl. To me that's a success!


Ingredients: Broth

2 lbs of Beef Bones - I used beef feet and leg bones (traditionally its pork neck bones or spare ribs)

4-5 Shallots (peeled and leave whole)

1/3 cup of Dried Shrimps

Salt and Sugar to taste

Directions:

1. Wash bones and put it in a pot of hot water. Add the shallots, dried shrimp and seasonings. Cook for an hour or two. Strain with cheesecloth to get rid of the impurities. Toss the bones, shrimp and shallots. Cut the tendons off the beef feet if you want to eat it (its my husband favorite part).

Ingredients: Topping

1 lbs of thinly slice Beef (traditionally pork belly)

1/2 lbs of Shrimp (peeled and devein)

1 Tbsp Garlic (minced)

1 Tbsp Shallots (chopped)

1 Tbsp Paprika

3 Tbsp Fish Sauce (nuoc mam)

3 Tbsp Annato Oil (Add annato seed in some oil, bring to a quick boil. Strain out the seeds)

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Use the annato oil to saute the garlic, paprika and shallots, once its translucent add in the beef and shrimp. Add fish sauce, salt and pepper. Once the shrimp is cooked transfer it into a bowl. Pour some broth in the saute pan to get all the juice and pour it back in the broth pot.

Ingredients: Noodles (you can buy the pre-made noodles)

1 pack of dried thick Rice Noodles (any size noodles or fresh ones if you prefer)

2 Tbsp Oil

1 Tbsp Turmeric Powder

Directions:

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add oil and noodles.Once the noodles almost cook add the turmeric. Make sure to stir and keep an close eye on it or the noodles will stick together.

2. Pour the noodles out and soak it in cold water to get rid of the starch and stop the cooking.

Toppings:

1 Banana Blossom - Thinly Sliced (optional

Bean Sprout

Perilla Leaves aka Tia To (optional, we don't eat it so we left it out)

Mint Leaves

Roasted Peanut (grounded)

Wedge of Lime

Thai Chili (optional)

Cilantro

Scallions (green onions)

Black Sesame Cracker aka Banh Da (microwave as instructed on the packaging)








No comments:

Post a Comment