Saturday, May 10, 2014

Creme Brulee

My husband is all about dessert. He will skip meal for a good pastry. I started baking 10 years ago, it was my weekend hobby. I started off with cookies, brownies and moved on to cakes, flan, creme brulee and french macaron. I used to bake with my nieces and now with my daughter. Its a fun experience for them and they always enjoy doing it. To see them so excited and wait by the oven for their creation to be done is very rewarding. My husband all time favorite is creme brulee, but the process is long and sometimes complicated. I adjusted things and found shortcuts to make it easier on myself. If my husband can make it, anyone can. I hope you will give it a try.

Ingredients: Serve 6 (preheat oven 350 degrees)

8 Large Egg Yolks

1/2 Cup Sugar

2 Cups Heavy Cream

1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract or 1 Vanilla Bean

2 Tsp Raw Sugar or Granulated Sugar (add more if you like a thicker sugar crust)

Directions:

1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until the sugar is melted and the egg yolks have a light yellow color.

2. Add the heavy cream and beat and whisk until its completely combine. Add the vanilla extract.

3. Pour it throw a cheese cloth to strain to get a smooth texture.

4. Heat up a kettle of hot water.  Put the ramekins inside a high top baking sheet or roasting pan. Ladle in the mixture, fill the 3/4 of the way. Pour the hot water into the roasting pan and carefully push it into the oven.

5. Bake for 20-25 min, the middle is still a little jiggly. Let cool completely. Sprinkle with sugar and torch it until the sugar melt. If you don't have a torch, you can put it in the oven with the rack at its highest and turn it to broil. Keep and eye on it or it will burn.

Note: Complicated way

1. In a sauce pan add the heavy cream and vanilla extract/bean to a slight boil. Whisk the egg and sugar together. Gently and slowly pour in the hot heavy cream mixture into the egg while whisking. Do be carefully for the eggs can curdle and you don't want scramble eggs for dessert.

2. Strain with cheese cloth and follow the same direction as above.

No comments:

Post a Comment