Friday, May 9, 2014

Duck Confit with Quinoa and Mushrooms

My husband lived in France since he was 3 month old. He moved to CA when he was 22 for a job, we met, fell in love, got married and started a family. Although he is happy with the life he have here with me and the kids, but I know he misses his family and friends.We've been back to visit quite a few times and the best part for me was the food. We haven't been back since our son was born and I know my husband miss his family terribly. So I decided to cook him a french meal to give him a little bit of France and a little comfort. I went online and search for recipes to make duck confit which is one of our favorite dish. I couldn't find anything I like so I took what I like from a bunch of recipes and combined them. The end result was wonderful and I was happy/relieved that I didn't mess it up. As a side dish, I wanted to try something different. I remember having it at Brix in Napa when I went with my friends for a day trip. I didn't know what was in it beside mushrooms. I tried to mimic it to the best of my knowledge and I was glad it was close to what I had. It definitely wasn't as tasty or creamy as Brix, but it was good according to my husband and 2 year old daughter. The best part of the meal was the look on my husband face and his empty plate.


Note: I added seared foie gras for my husband. Its optional. I don't eat it so I had cheese on my plate.

Ingredients: Serve 2-4 (begin early morning)

4 Duck Legs

1 Bunch of Thyme

1 Tbsp Allspice Berries

1 Tbsp Juniper Berries

2 7oz Jar of Duck Fat (Olive oil as seen in some recipe)

2 1/2 Tbsp Koshier Salt

1 Tbsp Whole Black Pepper

1 Bulb of Garlic

1 1/2 Cup Quinoa

1 Tbsp Olive Oil

1 Tbsp Butter

8oz Fresh Shitake Mushroom (any kind is fine)

3 Cups Chicken Broth

1 Clove Garlic, Minced

1 Onion, Chopped

1/3 cup Gueyere Cheese (or Parmesan)

Directions: Duck Confit (Preheat Oven 200 degrees)

1. Use a shrap knife and prick the skin on the duck legs. Rub the salt throughly and some fresh cracked balck pepper.

2. In a casserole dish line it with Thyme. Lay the duck leg on to the thyme, add the juniper, allspice, black pepper corn, garlic cloves, and the rest of the thyme. Pour in the the duck fat, cover and bake it for 6-7 hours.

3. Take out of the oven and let cool. Before serving remove it from the casserole dish, make sure no juniper, black pepper, allspice or thyme is stuck on the duck legs. In a pan add some duck fat and place the duck legs in and fry it until its brown and the skin is crispy.

Directions: Quinoa


1. Rinse the quinoa and put in a pot. Add the olive oil and sauteed it for a couple minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat (medium low or medium depending on your stove), cover and let it simmer for 20 min. Stir occasionlly

2. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat, add onion and garlic. Sautee until translucent. Add mushrooms and continue until its cook.

3. Add the mushroom mixture into the quinoa and cook for another 2 minutes or until the quinoa is fully cook. Spinkle cheese on top before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment